We’ve all been there (256 times, at least). You’re out-and-about when suddenly your little nursling starts to sweetly (or maniacally) demand a snack. You feel your whole body tense as you search desperately for a place to sit down and feed your hungry babe. It’s really stressful!
Currently breastfeeding my third baby (with no signs of weaning any time soon), I decided that there needs to be some kind of directory of breastfeeding-friendly places to help mamas feel as welcomed and supported as we should be.
Now I really debated writing this post. I STRONGLY believe that women should breastfeed wherever they please. But unfortunately that’s not the world we live in. There are tons of stories of people trying to shame women for breastfeeding in public. It’s easy to see how women might feel a little uneasy (to say the least) nursing whenever and wherever they need to. So together, let’s do 2 things:
- Support public breastfeeding, however we can. Do it yourself if you’re comfortable, approach women who are nursing and tell them they are awesome, and stand up to people that attack breastfeeding moms.
- While we are working on changing the world, let’s compile a list of our favorite places to breastfeed.
If you’ve had a really positive experience breastfeeding somewhere in the area, write about in the comment section of this blog post, email me, or share it on the Gathered Birth Facebook page. I will gather all the new responses and add them to the master list.
My hope is that we can create a significant directory of nursing-friendly places in the area. And if we’re loud enough about it, maybe some of the not-so-great ones will change their ways.
Here is the list so far:
Pregnancy and Parenting Support Center
- Gathered Birth, Media PA When we open in May, we’ll have breastfeeding office hours (which will be posted on Facebook). Come in, put your feet up, have some tea, and nurse.
- 320 Market Cafe, Media PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Shere-E-Punjab, Media PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Sligo, Media PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Red Robin– Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Chick-fil-A, Royersford and Limerick, PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Liberty Union, Chester Springs PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Sly Fox, Phoenixville PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Maggiano’s, King of Prussia PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Lulu’s Casita, Ardmore PA– Signs up stating that they are breastfeeding friendly
- Philadelphia Zoo, Philadelphia PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Elmwood Park Zoo, Norristown PA- Nursing nook
- Adventure Aquarium, Camden NJ- Nursing room
- Please Touch Museum, Philadelphia PA- Nursing room
- The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia PA- Nursing room
- Knoebels Amusement Resort, Elysburg PA- Mothers’ lounge and lots of benches
- Target, Springfield Mall West– They have an actual policy that says they have to be kind to breastfeeding moms
- Nordstroms– Designated nursing rooms or women’s lounges
- Ikea, Conshohocken PA- Designated nursing room, complete with attached play area for your older child(ren)
- Barnes & Nobel– Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Burlington Coat Factory, Springfield PA- Nursing room
- Kimberton Whole Foods– Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Wegmans– Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
- Babies R Us– Many have nursing rooms
- Moorestown Mall, Moorestown NJ- nursing room near the food court
- Lilies of the Field, Doylestown PA- Mom reported breastfeeding friendly
Where do you love to nurse your baby?
*A huge thank you to the women who have shared their experiences with me. Together we really can make the world a little nicer for breastfeeding moms!